Here's how I did it:
Please note that the experience might differ per mobile phone. I am using an Android phone, particularly the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
1. Log in to your account in BPI Express Mobile. If you do not have the BPI Express Mobile app installed yet, you may request for it at the BPI Expressonline site.
2. Once you have logged in, click more (icon with the 3 circles) in the rightmost option of your bottom menu. Select the Enable Transfer to Anyone option. You must do this through the app. All of my failed attempts for the last two months was when I tried to activate this via the expressonline site.
3. Key in the required details. You will be asked to input the source account and the JAI (Joint Account Indicator) number, which is located in the bottom right portion of your ATM card.
4. Once you have sent your details, BPI Expressonline will send you an automated message with instructions on how to activate your Enable Transfer to Anyone enrollment via ATM.
5. Go to the nearest BPI ATM and activate enrollment as instructed in the email.
6. Once activated via ATM, BPI will send you another email confirming the activation.
7. After the confirmation email from BPI Expressonline on the activation has been received, the system is going to send you an activation code to complete the process.
Now this is where it gets TRICKY. The system may NOT send you an activation code. I don't know why this happens, but this was when I tried to activate the Transfer to Anyone option via the bpiexpressonline website. Don't bother sending an email to their customer support. I sent an email out to email@example.com and I got a reply more than a week after. Worse, they can't even fix my issue because the activation time has lapsed.
So just try to activate the Transfer to Anyone option via your phone banking app. Else, you will just be wasting time going to the bank activating it (like I did).
8. Once you receive the activation code, repeat steps 1-3 above and key in the activation code once prompted. Ta-da! You can now use your Transfer to Anyone option in BPI Express Mobile.
Here's a sample of using this feature for the first time:
Please note that you have to double check the account number you're sending your funds to as the system does not verify anything except send a prompt if you entered the right account number and amount. It does not require you to input an account name. I had to check over and over again to make sure I got the account details right. Next step after confirming the transfer details is sending you a confirmation number of the entire transaction. You can then keep this number or take a screenshot so you can inform the recipient of the transfer.
I am happy that I FINALLY got to activate this option in my BPI Express Mobile app. This sure saves me the hassle of physically going to the bank and waiting in line to transfer my funds. Happy mobile banking!